With the right kind of talent and ambition, people can make the changes within a short period of time as this American actress and filmmaker, Greta Gerwig.
Greta is best known for her performance in several low-budget films and her amazing direction of Lady Bird and Little Women, who won several nominations and awards.
In 2018, this beautiful actress and filmmaker was also listed by Time Magazine on the 100 lists of the most influential people in the world. Some of her best movie performances were Damsels in Distress, To Rome with Love, Maggie’s Plan, Jackie, and 20th Century Women.
Now, let us talk in-depth about Greta Gerwig, starting with her quick facts.
Quick Facts: Greta Gerwig
|Full Name:||Greta Celeste Gerwig|
|Birth Date:||August 4, 1983|
|Age:||37 years old|
|Birth Place:||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Father’s Name:||Gordon Gerwig|
|Mother’s Name:||Christine Gerwig|
|Siblings:||One sister and brother (Names are unknown)|
|Height:||5 feet 8 inches(175cm)|
|Weight:||60 kg or 132.28 lbs|
|Body Measurements:||34-27-35 inches or 86-68.5-89 cm|
|Education:||Barnard College, Saint Francis High School|
|Profession:||Film director, Playwright, Screenwriter, Voice acting, Voice actor, Film actor|
|Social Media Presence:||None|
Early Life and Education: Greta Gerwig
Greta Celeste Gerwig, aka Greta Gerwig, was born on August 4, 1983, in Sacramento, California, United States. She grew up with her sister and older brother.
Her brother is a landscape architect, and her sister is a manager at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Talking about her parents, Gordon Gerwig is her father, and Christine Gerwig is her mother. Gordon Gerwig used to be a Financial consultant and computer programmer, and Christine used to be a nurse.
Greta is very close to her parents. She has German, Irish, and English ancestry.
Furthermore, Greta attended Saint Francis High School in Sacramento, which is an all-girls Catholic school, and graduated in 2002.
She showed an interest in dance and later took up competitive fencing, but due to high costs, she had to quit.
She had planned to complete a degree in musical theatre in New York but graduated with a degree in English and Philosophy from Barnard College.
Together with Kate McKinnon, she had performed in the Columbia Univesity Show.
Age, Height, and Body Measurement
Greta Gerwig celebrates her birthday on August 4 that makes her Leo by the zodiac sign. Not to mention, this diva is 37 years old as of 2021 since she was born in 1983.
Furthermore, this model has a well-maintained slim body physique of 34-27-35 inches or 86-68.5-89 cm, which is the perfect body figure. She has blonde hair with pair of hazel eyes.
Her height is 5 feet 8 inches(175cm), while her body weighs about 60 kg or 132.28 lbs. Her shoe size number is 10(US) or 40.5(EU), and her dress size is 6(US) or 36(EU).
Career Life of Greta Gerwig
Before Greta decided to become an actress, she wanted to become a playwright, but as she was not admitted to MFA programs, she pursues her career as an actress.
During her educational period at Barnard, Gerwig appeared in Joe Swanberg’s movie LOL and Baghead by Jay and Mark Duplass.
Within such a few appearances on the screen, Gerwig became the key figure in the rising low-budget film movement.
After a couple of years, Greta returned to the acting business appearing in Noah Baumbach’s movie Greenberg along with Ben Stiller, Rhys Ifans, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
After her outstanding performance in Greenberg, she was invited to the show Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Gerwig’s shining moment slowly appeared to her with more appearance in Woody Allen’s film To Rome with Love alongside Alec Baldwin and Jesse Eisenberg.
Along with Baumbach, Greta wrote a film, Frances Ha, released in May 2013, where she played the lead role.
Greta was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress-Motion Picture Comedy or Musical for her performance.
Gerwig also made her stage appearance in Penelope Skinner’s The Village Bike as Becky at Lucille Lortel Theatre in New York.
She was again nominated for the Outer Critics Circle Award for the performance. More of her movies in coming years are Maggie’s Plan and Jackie.
In 2017, Greta released her first solo directional movie Lady Bird which was also written by her. The film was released in November 2017 at the Telluride Film Festival and successfully grossed over $78 million for the $10 million budget movie.
Not only that, the movie was listed as one of the top ten films of 2017 by Time magazine and received widespread critical acclaim.
Lady Bird received several awards and nominations for its awesomeness. As Greta was the director, she was nominated as the fifth woman in Oscar history for the Best Director.
Greta voiced for Wes Anderson’s animated film Isle of Dogs, which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2018.
In the same year, Gerwig again directed the movie Little Women that also received the same fame as her first movie Lady Bird.
For her second directional movie, she was nominated for the Best Director award, including the movie nominations as Best Picture, Best Actress for Ronan, Best Adapted Screenplay for Gerwig, and Best Supporting Actress for Pugh at the 92nd Academy Awards.
Awards and Nominations
- Greta won the Best Adapted Screenplay and the Best Woman Screenwriter for Little Women in 2019.
- Won the Rare Pearl Award for Lady Bird in 2017.
- Won the Best Supporting Actress for 20th Century Women in 2016.
- Best actress for Damsels in Distress in 2012.
- Best Motion Picture-Musical or Comedy for Lady Bird in 2018.
- Best Director and Screenplay for Lady Bird in 2017.
- MVFF Award for Lady Bird in 2017.
- Auteur Award for Lady Bird in 2018.
- Nominated as the Best Actress for Frances Ha in 2014.
- Runner-up as Best Actress for Frances Ha in 2013.
- Nominated for Best Original Screenplay for Mistress America in 2015.
- Nominated for Breakthrough Actor/Actress for Greenberg in 2010.
Greta Gerwig: Favorites
- Favorite Destination: New York
- Favorite Color: Pink
- Favorite Sport: American Football
- Favorite Song: Lay My Love (By Brain Eno and John Cale)
- Favorite Actress: Emma Watson
- Favorite New York Park: Abingdon Square Park
- Favorite New York Bar: Swat Bar at 59 Canal St.
- Favorite New York Theater: Rattlestick Playwrights Theater at 224 Waverly Place
Interesting/Shocking Facts & Secrets About Greta Gerwig
- Greta wanted to become a ballet dancer at an early age, but she decided to become an actress after growing up.
- In her teenage, Greta was a part of the hip-hop dance group “Fly Style” and later joined “Touch of style,” a younger dance group.
- During her early days, she used to work as SAT Teacher at night and a nanny during the day. At that time, she had to face lots of struggles in her life.
- Greta Gerwig has also opened a suicide prevention center and sometimes distributed free doughnuts just for fun.
- She is not on social media.
- Greta loves cooking.
- Greta Gerwig is best known for playing Becky’s role in the Penelope Skinner Play, The Village Bike.
- She is also known for playing the critically acclaimed role of Frances Halladay in the 2012 release Frances Ha.
Personal Life of Greta Gerwig
Greta is a very private person and doesn’t share much about her personal life. Although we surely know that Greta is currently living in Brooklyn with her partner and filmmaker Noah Baumbach.
They are living together since 2011 and also working together in several movies. In March 2019, this lovely couple was blessed with a son.
Net Worth, Income, and Salary
Beautiful and talented American actress and film director Greta Gerwig after such a fantastic and successful career, no doubt she sits on the throne of millions.
To be exact, Greta sits on the throne of 4 million dollars as per the stats of 2021. Greta’s primary source of income is through the movie business in which she performs and directs the movie.
Greta has made two movies, and both of them were successful, which received worldwide acclaim and awards for their awesomeness.
Social Media Presence
As I keep saying that social media is today’s way of life but not in everyone’s case. Many people are away from the means of social media and who desire to be so, such as this American actress Greta Gerwig.
Greta is unavailable on any of the social media platforms, and even she grew up pre-internet. But after all, being a celebrity is hard to remain behind the media. You can find Gerwig on some of the channels of YouTube where she is being interviewed.
Well, let us hope in the future, Greta might be active on social media, and we will update her presence on social media platforms.